Friday, July 19, 2013

My First Deer

My Nephew killed his first deer and at the age of eleven. He
 was so excited about it he put a story together for a school project.

My First Deer
By: Colton Byrd
11/22/06

On November 22 my Dad and I decided to take a little hunting trip. It was a very cold afternoon with a hard wind blowing from the North.  We packed on the layers of clothing and were off to spend some time together in the woods.  I was excited to be going to my Grandfathers hunting camp in Stapleton Alabama.  I chose to hunt the large field where we saw many deer tracks in the grass.  We got in the blind about 3:00 pm and a flying squirrel jumped on my back and scared me half to death.  Shortly afterwards we got settled and the deer started moving.  Many deer where eating or passing through the field mainly doe and smaller bucks but we had to pass on them.  After sitting a while longer we could see another larger deer entering across the field.  As the deer moved into the field dad said there's one now get your gun ready.  I could see through the scope it was a nice six point.  I was breathing hard and heavy and my hands were shaking.  I was finally able to calm down, I took a deep breath and got in a good shooting position. I waited for the deer to turn to give me a better shot, my dad was putting up his binoculars and POW!  I got him!  I was so happy to kill my first deer so I got up and ran across the field to see him.  That was the hunt of my life.
When we arrived at Pawpaw's house we took pictures and cleaned the deer. My dad put some blood on my face to celebrate my first deer kill.  We took some pictures and will share the memories for the rest of our lives.  I was so happy that I could hardly sleep that night.
By: Colton Byrd


Colton is 18 years old now and still loves spending time outdoors with friends and family.  He has now graduated high school and helped win an Alabama State Championship in 6A High School football for the Daphne Trojans. He will attend The University of South Alabama this fall. Our family is very proud of him.  Thanks for sharing this story Colton.


Do you have a hunting story you would like to share with our readers?  If so please send them to alakingfish@gmail.com
Thanks for reading.
Shelby Byrd

No comments:

Post a Comment