Saturday, July 6, 2013

She thinks we're just hunting

It's always special to get to spend a day in the woods.  Sometimes we forget the small stuff that can mean so much.  It's really eye opening to take a little buddy along in the woods and see everything through their eyes.  When I go in the woods with my daughter we spend as much time talking about tracks we see and bugs we find as we do looking for game animals.  She actually stops to smell the flowers and even picks a few for daddy.  I think she enjoys dressing up in the hunting clothes as much as going hunting.  I always let her bring some snacks and binoculars to play with.  I want the hunting to be as enjoyable as possible for her.  We are serious about spending time together and the hunting is a bonus.  
I try to make sure she learns something during the trip.  We try to identify different types of animal tracks and see if we can tell which direction they are traveling.  We use cover scent and sometimes we make our own scent blocker by rubbing pine needles on our clothing.  Its fun teaching her about hunting safety and I always make sure she has her own flashlight.  We make sure to both burn a light on the way to and from the truck in low light conditions.  It's amazing how much they listen and how much carry over they have from one hunt to another.  If I do or say something different she will let me know.  Last time you said that was a coon track daddy not an opossum track.

Blake in Kentucky
My buddy Joe's son.  He took his son to a Kentucky Youth Hunt in the 2012 season.

Take the little ones hunting early and often and they might be taking you hunting one day. 

Kaleb with his Grandfather Ron
My buddy Rej shared this picture of his son and father hunting together.


Emily in the Alabama piney woods with her grocery bag.
She takes snacks whenever we go hunting or fishing. 

Jennie and Emily- nothing is getting past these two.

Never to old to stop and smell the flowers.  Yes, Emily picked the flower and took the picture.  Do you have any pictures to share of you and your hunting buddy?  If so please email them to me at alakingfish@gmail.com and if you give permission I may feature you and your buddy on a future post.








No comments:

Post a Comment